The Gospel of Luke Study Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lesson One, Question 4

3 posters

Go down

Lesson One, Question 4 Empty Lesson One, Question 4

Post by Tara Bernard Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:50 pm

4. What can we learn from Zechariah and Elizabeth to help us handle long-term disappointments?

What long-term frustration in your life needs to be entrusted to
God?

Tara Bernard
Tara Bernard
Admin

https://alexandergospelstudy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lesson One, Question 4 Empty Re: Lesson One, Question 4

Post by Tara Bernard Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:04 pm

[REPOSTED FROM BARBARA T. ALEXANDER (MOM)]

We need to trust God to supply what we need, and know that He can perform anything He wants to happen .

What long-term frustration in your life needs to be entrusted to God?

BTA: God has been gracious and merciful to me. I do not know of a long-term frustration. (Short-term, maybe, relatively speaking: How to be a good witness for Jesus Christ to grandchildren.

GTR: (1)working on getting rid of belly fat; (2) rift among family members, but I trust that God will work through us to attain His desired outcome. I also feel very blessed in my life and all those in it.

Tara Bernard
Tara Bernard
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Bernard Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 pm

4. Zechariah and Elizabeth are being taught a couple of lessons here. One, that God’s plans take precedence over our plans. Two, that nothing is impossible with God. Three, that God hears our prayers and answers in His own time and in accordance with His design. Four, that we do not get to dictate to God the ways and means by which our prayers are answered. I think the biggest lesson for me here is that any long-term disappointments I may have arise from my belief that MY plan is better than God’s plan and that I have a right to choose which way God should direct events that impact me. This is foolishness and underscores the idea that my prayers to God should be rather, “Please let me greet your plans for my life with joy, please let me rejoice in the knowledge that your plan is better than mine, and that what I view as a disappointment is your protection and preservation of my life in order to fulfill your purpose and plan for me.” And not, “Please let x, y and z happen because that is what will make me happy.” I get frustrated primarily with what I view as my inability to understand what it is that God wants me to do. I need to let that go and trust that He will reveal it to me when He’s ready. In the meantime, I need to continue to pray for wisdom, discernment, and joy and satisfaction in where He has placed me.

Tara Bernard
Tara Bernard
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara Alexander Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Tara Bernard wrote:4.   Zechariah and Elizabeth are being taught a couple of lessons here.  One, that God’s plans take precedence over our plans.  Two, that nothing is impossible with God.  Three, that God hears our prayers and answers in His own time and in accordance with His design.  Four, that we do not get to dictate to God the ways and means by which our prayers are answered.  I think the biggest lesson for me here is that any long-term disappointments I may have arise from my belief that MY plan is better than God’s plan and that I have a right to choose which way God should direct events that impact me.  This is foolishness and underscores the idea that my prayers to God should be rather, “Please let me greet your plans for my life with joy, please let me rejoice in the knowledge that your plan is better than mine, and that what I view as a disappointment is your protection and preservation of my life in order to fulfill your purpose and plan for me.” And not, “Please let x, y and z happen because that is what will make me happy.”  I get frustrated primarily with what I view as my inability to understand what it is that God wants me to do.  I need to let that go and trust that He will reveal it to me when He’s ready.  In the meantime, I need to continue to pray for wisdom, discernment, and joy and satisfaction in where He has placed me.

Tara, you make good points: (1) God’s plans take precedence over ours (2) nothing is impossible with God (3) God hears our prayers and answers them according to His time and plans (4) we do not get to dictate to God the ways and means by which he answers our prayers.

my comments: Zachariah and Elizabeth had possibly been praying for years for a son and were dealing with a long-term disappointment. Nevertheless, we are told in v 6 that they lived honorably before God, and were careful in keeping to the ways of the commandments and enjoyed a clear conscience before God.

We can learn from this that the important thing in our life, even if we have disappointments, is to live honorably before God, trusting Him to do what is best for us at any given time.

Barbara Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela Meyers Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:16 pm

We can learn (or be reminded) that life goes on... regardless of whether our desires are fulfilled as planned or not. And to accept what is (rather than hanging on to resentment or fear or anger) is a good way to live...that we should go forward with what we believe to be the most important thing we need to be doing at this time. We can also learn that things can change abruptly, and not even super-righteous priests like Zechariah are always able to "go with the flow" immediately. It can take time to process stuff like this!!! (especially for old dudes). Personal note to Gabriel: It would have been nice if Zechariah were able to communicate with others during this very emotional upheaval. Please be more considerate and supportive next time you are tempted to smite someone's ability to process stuff out loud.

Personal long-term frustration? I can't think of any. I've had an incredible, wonderful, very human life. I have so much for which I am thankful! I love you

Pamela Meyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamela Meyers Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Secondary note to Gabriel: Oh, it seems you were more patient the second time around (with Mary). My mistake. Thanks!

Pamela Meyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down