The Gospel of Luke Study Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lesson One, Discussion F

3 posters

Go down

Lesson One, Discussion F Empty Lesson One, Discussion F

Post by Tara Bernard Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm

F. When was the last time you doubted God? What caused your doubt?

Tara Bernard
Tara Bernard
Admin

https://alexandergospelstudy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lesson One, Discussion F Empty Re: Lesson One, Discussion F

Post by Pamela Meyers Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Hmmmm. About 15 seconds ago I doubted God. I doubted because Zachariah had doubts and expressed them, and was "punished" with muteness. Then Mary had doubts, but Gabriel didn't punish her. Instead she was blessed (because she stayed silent??? Another reason???) Anyway, I doubt any god/God who punishes his child for an honest and heartfelt expression of doubt. That's not loving nor god-like to me.

Pamela Meyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Bernard Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:16 pm

#3 wrote:Hmmmm. About 15 seconds ago I doubted God. I doubted because Zachariah had doubts and expressed them, and was "punished" with muteness. Then Mary had doubts, but Gabriel didn't punish her. Instead she was blessed (because she stayed silent??? Another reason???) Anyway, I doubt any god/God who punishes his child for an honest and heartfelt expression of doubt. That's not loving nor god-like to me.

Well, I think you can view Zechariah's muteness in a couple of ways. One, you could view it as punishment. Or you could view it as a consequence for the manner in which he expressed his doubt. I think that the main difference between the way he and Mary responded is that he said, essentially, "yeah, right." and Mary said, "Wow. That's going to be interesting!" Do you see the distinction? So his consequence was to hold his tongue until he could see that God could, in fact, do what he said. Also, I think both of them were blessed (Mary and Zechariah). However, all that being said, if the passage caused you to doubt God, it caused you to doubt God! I haven't answered this one yet because I doubt God so frequently that it's hard to pick one. Ha.

P.S. I hope no one gets upset that the moderator/leader (quote-unquote) has doubts and feels free to express them! confused
Tara Bernard
Tara Bernard
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Bernard Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:27 am

Okay, truth time. I doubt God constantly. I question if we are created by God or if God is created by us. I question if God is a personal God or a "general" God. I question if God has a plan or if God just sort of watches us with a bit of wry amusement at all our antics. I wonder if we have free will or if God has already determined everything. I wrestle with free-will vs. omniscience. Can they both exist simultaneously? I question a God who demands the shedding of blood in reparation of sin and if He does, then why did He put sin in the garden in the first place? 90% of my prayers end with, "God, if you're there, you know what's in my heart. I need help, I need conviction....well, maybe I do. Maybe I don't. Maybe you want me to struggle with this. Maybe your grace is sufficient for me. Crap. Sorry, God. OK. Um. I want to be your servant, I love what I believe about you, at least when I do believe it about you. I'm ready, willing and able to do whatever it is you want me to do, but I guess I'm kinda dumb, so please let me know whatever it is and I'll do my best to do it. Or maybe you have, huh? You want me to believe. OK. I'm tired. I love you. In Jesus' name. Amen." (This is mostly when I picture the wry amusement (mixed with parental despair) on God's face and remember to thank Him for our perfect intercessor!)
Tara Bernard
Tara Bernard
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara Alexander Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:13 pm

My goodness, I’m drawing a blank here, too. I don’t doubt God! As far as I can remember I can’t recall a time when I did not believe He could do any-and everything He wants, how He wants it done, and when.

Barbara Alexander

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down